Ransomware attacks are becoming more common, with the latest threat ‘Wannacry‘ causing an impact to users across the globe over the past few weeks. Our VPN solution will help you to keep safe from these threats, and there’s also other measures that you we recommend that you use .
What is ‘Ransomware’ ?
RansomWare like WannaCry works by encrypting most or even all of the files on a user’s computer. Then, the software demands that a ransom be paid in order to have the files decrypted. In the case of WannaCry specifically, the software demands that the victim pays a ransom of $300 in bitcoins at the time of infection. If the user doesn’t pay the ransom without three days, the amount doubles to $600. After seven days without payment, WannaCry will delete all of the encrypted files and all data will be lost.
It can affect both individual and corporate users. Most recently, UK’s NHS (National Health Service) was a victim of Ransomware. Due to the fact the NHS were using outdated Windows XP operating systems, cyber criminals found it easy to infiltrate their computers.
How to protect yourself ?
Your data is valuable to you and so it is natural you would not want it to be held hostage by malware creators. That is why it is imperative to step up defense against Ransomware and other malware. There are a few things you can do for this:
- Backing up your data is the first line of defense against Ransomware and related malware. Make it a habit to take backup of important data weekly or daily basis. Third party apps can be used for it. When you backup your precious data, it becomes easier to get rid of pesky situations created by ransomware.
- Always keep your operating system up-to-date. Windows 8, Windows XP, and Windows 2003 are extremely vulnerable to ransomware attacks.
- Use VanishedVPN to stay safe. Our servers block the ports that Ransomware typically uses to spread (445, 135, 138, 139), and we also hide your IP address, which gives you protection. To keep all of the devices on your network safe, we recommend using our pre-configured VPN routers, so that every connected device is protected.
- It is poignant that you use a suitable anti malware software on your PC and update it regularly. Updated antivirus can catch newer strains of malware, including Ransomware.
- It is also necessary that you use the PC and web in proper ways to ensure that Ransomware does not sneak into the system. Creators of such software embed the malware in various stuff such as email attachments, social media images and videos, etc. Refrain from opening suspicious attachments before scanning it with antivirus and do not click on videos sent by unknown people as well.
- Install a ransomware blocker. Both Cybereason Ransomfree and Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware are reliable free options.
Using VanishedVPN will help to prevent your devices being infected by Ransomware. We also recommend that you take the preventative measures detailed above in order to stay safe.